First Time Applicants for US Passports
The following are required to obtain your first US Passport:
2. Proof of Citizenship (Consular Report of Birth Abroad/ Certificate of Citizenship/ Naturalization Certificate)
3. A Photograph, which is:
- 2x2 inches in size
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken in normal street attire
- Uniforms should not be worn in photographs.
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline unless worn daily for religious purposes.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.
6. Fee of US$105.00 or Rs.14,200.00 for applicants under sixteen years and US$135.00 or Rs.18,300.00 for applicants above sixteen years of age.
FEES ARE PAYABLE IN CASH ONLY. Please bring money in change.
7. Both parents/guardian(s) must accompany children below the age of sixteen and need to submit one of the following to establish parental relationship/guardianship:
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (With Parents' Names); or
- Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (With Parents' Names and Translation): or
- Report of Birth Abroad (Form Fs-240) (With Parents' Names); or
- Certification of Birth Abroad (Form Ds-1350) (With Parents' Names); or
- Adoption Decree (With Adopting Parents' Names); or
- Court Order establishing Custody; or
- Court Order establishing guardianship.
If The Parent(S)'/Guardian's Name(S) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.
Each Parent or Guardian must submit one of the following:
- Valid Official U.S. Military ID;
- Valid U.S. Government ID;
- Valid U.S. Or Foreign Passport with Recognizable Photo;
- Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from USCIS with Recognizable Photo; or
- Alien Resident Card from USCIS.
One parent may sign the application if:
- The other parent is not in Sri Lanka. In such a situation the absent parent has to complete a "Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a Minor under Age 16 (DS-3053)". The DS-3053 has to be notarized by a Notary Public (if absent Parent is in the U.S.) or by a Consular Officer of the U.S. (if in a third country);
- One parent is deceased. In such instances the surviving parent has to present the valid death certificate of the non-applying parent; or
- The applying parent has sole legal/physical custody of the Child concerned; which can be proved by presenting a Court Order.
The Embassy is open for citizen services on a Monday or Wednesday between 1-3 pm. Please click here to make an appointment.
PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION. IT HAS TO BE SIGNED IN THE PRESENCE OF A CONSULAR OFFICER OF THE UNITED STATES.