The Government of Sri Lanka announced that tourists will be able to call in 24 hours on the following telehone numbers for information until Saturday, January 10, 2015.
Locally: 1912, 011-242-6900, 076-833-6656
Important: The following phone numbers are for emergency purposes only, and are not to be used for visa inquiries.
Emergency contact information
- For medical emergencies, it is best to go directly to the nearest hospital. For a list of hospitals in Colombo, please click here.
- To contact local police regarding an emergency from within Sri Lanka, dial 119. From outside Sri Lanka, dial 94-11-242-1111.
- To contact the Colombo Fire Brigade from within Sri Lanka, dial 110.
The Embassy may be contacted for emergency-related inquiries at 011-249-8686 between the following hours:
Monday through Thursday: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Friday: 8:00AM to 12:00 PM
- If you are a U.S. citizen with an after-hours emergency, please call the duty officer. Here is how to reach the duty officer:
- If you are dialing from the United States: 011-94- 77-725-6307. If you are unable to reach the duty officer on this number, please dial 011-94-11-249- 8500.
- If you are dialing from Sri Lanka: 077-725-6307.
- If you are unable to reach the duty officer on this number, please dial 249-8500 (from a landline in Colombo), or 011-249-8500 (from a cell phone anywhere in Sri Lanka or from a landline outside the Colombo district).
To view the Embassy holiday list, click here.
The U.S. Embassy is able to provide assistance to U.S. Citizens who are in urgent need of help with regard to deaths, illnesses, whereabouts of loved ones, destitution and other similiar circumstances.